Sunday, November 27, 2011

Barcelona


I am going to start with Barcelona because that is the trip that I have the fewest things to say about. It all boils down to this: Barcelona is not a real place. The people there go out until 6 am (and don’t start until midnight) and then wake up at 8 for class, take a nap and do it all again…exhausted just hearing about it… It is the home of Sangria which is delightful and rather like Barcelona itself. I just had the thought that the alcohol of choice in each city is rather reminiscent of the city itself. Italy is all about wine and elegance (or at least propriety). Munich is more stoic with its beer, and Barcelona/Spain is very old world (wine) and yet more unexpected and fun…thus sangria. 
In Barcelona you have to go with the flow, so if a downpour catches you unawares in a park, you just run through the rain and laugh at yourself. (Note the photo in front of the pond, about 5 minuets before said downpour...)
While here I ran into girls from my school not once, but twice! I knew they were coming, and was so kindly invited to join them but the idea of finding my way by myself to their hotel and then finding my roommate Alyssa for our flight back sounded like the worst idea ever, which makes the concept of running into them randomly twice in a huge city that much more ridiculous …. I saw all of the bizarre architectural works of Gaddi, ate at the best local sandwich shop, had a drink which was on fire (sort of…), strolled along the Mediterranean at night, and went to a giant concert. It was a lot of fun, but utterly exhausting and I honestly don’t feel the need to ever go back though I certainly enjoyed the experience. The one major negative was the flight back….when you think that a flight at 6am isn’t that bad for an uber cheap price, keep in mind that that means leaving for the airport around 4am…lesson learned.
Like I said not a lot to say…you just have to experience it yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment